Golden Gate Philharmonic offers a robust music education program including full orchestral training, sectional rehearsals, music theory classes, multiple concert performances, an annual Cazadero Music Camp Retreat, and optional chamber music and “gig” programs.
GGP offers orchestral training and experience combining full orchestra rehearsals with smaller sectional rehearsals coached by GGP Faculty. Music rehearsed is primarily from the classical orchestra repertoire, with three individual, full concert performances, typically held in November, February and May.
GGP’s Four Levels of Orchestra:
- CADET ORCHESTRA – No experience required, and no audition required.
- JUNIOR ORCHESTRA – Some previous experience; music reading and basic theory desirable.
- SENIOR ORCHESTRA – Ensemble and sight-reading experience are a must. Ability to play major and minor scales up to 4 sharps and 4 flats.
- CAMERATA – GGP’s top performing group; plays the most challenging music. Membership is limited to the finest players and most dedicated musicians.
Qualified soloists perform with orchestra accompaniment—a rare opportunity for middle school and high school age musicians.
Theory Class and instruction is required for all students. Our program includes theory instruction from beginner through high-intermediate levels, using a comprehensive book series with written exercises. GGP offers Theory Classes as follows:
- CADETS: work with their instructor on Tuesday Afternoons from 5:30 p.m. – 6 p.m. at SOTA• BEGINNING & INTERMEDIATE THEORY (most students): class take place weekly on Saturday, 2:30 p.m.- 3:30 p.m. at All Saints Episcopal Church, 1350 Waller Street, (between Masonic and Ashbury in the Haight Ashbury neighborhood).
- SUPPLEMENTAL THEORY: For those students who find it difficult or impossible to attend the Saturday class or who would like to have additional theory instruction and guidance, we provide instruction on Tuesday afternoons from 4:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. at SOTA before Orchestra rehearsals and sectionals begin. Tuesday theory sessions should be considered a supplement and not a substitute to Saturday classes unless Saturday attendance is impossible. In any case, students will need to do most of their work at home.
- OPTIONAL ADVANCED THEORY: For students interested in additional theory instruction beyond intermediate, Mr. Alden Jenks of our GGP Faculty will teach this class on Saturdays following the intermediate class from 3:30-4:30 subject to demand and enrollment. This class is not covered by GGP tuition and subject to additional fees. Please contact him directly for acceptance and fee amount. (Aldenjenks@gmail.com)
Cazadero Music Camp Retreat
All students are strongly encouraged to attend the Fall Orchestra Retreat, held on the Saturday and Sunday of Columbus Day weekend in October at Cazadero Music Camp. This activity kicks off the season, both musically and socially. Parents and siblings are also encouraged to attend. The retreat is free for all enrolled students; an additional fee applies for parents and siblings.
Optional Chamber Music Program
GGP offers Chamber Music as part of our Tuesday rehearsals to expose our students to the vast and rewarding chamber music repertoire and give them the experience and benefit of playing in a smaller group.
GGP hosts chamber music recitals each season, and provides other opportunities for the groups to perform.
Instrument rental and financial aid is available.